A few weeks ago I encountered a situation that required a decision to be made. I decided to find a novena to help my family and I to make the decision, but a quick Google search did not help much. Because of that I posted the request for advice in a Facebook group of Australian Catholic Mums and as usual the members -truly goodhearted- recommended the St. Therese novena.
After searching online I found a funny and cute fact about the Novena: a lot of people who prayed the Novena usually get roses or flowers at the end of it and St Therese was known to leave them as a sign that she hears you.
I thought about it and felt like it would be so wonderful if that were to happen to me, but I didn’t give it too much thought. I decided to start the Novena a week ago but I just didn’t. Time, stress and a bit of laziness caught me.
A few days ago, I bumped into a post on my social media full of testimonies about people receiving a flower after the novena and how the flower meant an answer for them… So, something was calling me in my heart. I wanted to pray it because I felt that St. Therese was calling me to talk to her and everything I saw reminded me of the fact. I believe when you have something that keeps coming up in your mind about God or a prayer, it’s a call to pray it as soon as possible… so with that thought I fell asleep…
Sunday morning, after a really rough night with my baby, St. Therese came up on my mind again. So while I was sipping my morning coffee I spoke to her. (Yes, you can speak to God and the Saints anytime. Even at the most simplest moments they will hear you). So, there I was having a mental monologue with St. Therese. I explained to her that I wanted to do the Novena but I was also craving for a flower to feel that connection with the Heavenly God that seem so off nowdays, but I told her that I didn’t want any flower from my backyard or next door neighboors because my children always pick them up so I wouldn’t know the difference. So after I finally diserned miracoulosly the personal petition – a petition I NEVER asked for in any prayers for the last 5 years- I decided to start the Novena and I asked her for a purple flower, -not full purple, just with something purple, my favourite colour- and not the ones that are in the grass. With that said I commited to start the Novena that night.
Afterwards the day went busy… I got the kids ready to go out, then my husband took my 2 oldest girls for a walk while I was getting ready myself and forgot about St. Therese. After a while my oldest came through the front door loudly and excited saying “look at this flower, mama!!”. I didn’t pay much attention thinking it was the flower she ALWAYS gets after her walks. After taking a glance of it, I frozed. I approached my daughter in shock and asked her to see it… and there it was, a beautiful white flower with a purple centre. PURPLE!. Being shocked is an understatement… I truly cried like a baby a minute after.
I haven’t even started and felt like St. Therese heard me already, encouraging me. Specially because of my personal petition, so linked to my motherhood, was heard even before I actually prayed formally. Our Saints are so lovely, so caring! We think of them as distant, but St. Therese just proved me that God it’s with us and hear our prayers even before we have the courage to articulate them. HE KNOWS!
I’ll start the novena today, would you join me?
Liza, a Maronite Mum
- “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” 1 John 5: 14
- “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” 1 Peter 3:12
- “And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.” 1 John 5:15
- Jeremiah 29:12-13; “Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29: 12-13
- “I cried out to him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and has heard my prayer. Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!” Psalm 66: 17-20.